Enchanting & elegant ground floor apartment for two in the heart of Dunkeld's delightful medieval centre, surrounded by the Cathedral, River Tay and National Trust for Scotland's 'Little Houses'.
Recently extensively refurbished with new kitchen and sitting room wallpapered with the pituresque 1783 map of Perthshire, complete with illustrations of the many grand houses of the day.
No.6b Cathedral Street lies within one of the most photographed streets in Scotland, it is living history, with antiques and generous creature comforts. A stroll away are eateries; tempting shops; regular musical evenings in Dunkeld's famous music making Taybank Pub overlooking the River Tay; to many classical programes within the Cathedral; art galleries and year round Beatrix Potter exhibition. Above the front door is the last local marriage lintel, of 1737. Windows look out onto Water Wynd, used by medieval monks to haul up their boats. Owned by author Ann Lindsay, whose 19th century family photos and book jacket covers decorate walls.
- Ground floor easy access.
- Sleeps two with double or twin beds.
- Sitting/dining room has comfy sofa & two wing armchairs.
- Kitchen with electric hob & oven, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, coffee grinder, lots equipment and sharp knives for foodies!
- Cotton bed linen, towels all included in rent.
- Colour TV, DVD player, radio, fold up garden chairs.
- One minute walk to riverside lawns, flower beds and sitting areas.
- Parking usually available on doorstep or very close by.
- Ample local maps and books on Scotland.
- Bedroom and kitchen face onto quiet Cathedral Street.
- Sitting room faces onto Water Wynd, gardens and Cathedral trees.
History of No.6b Cathedral Street
No. 6B Cathedral Street in Dunkeld has seen 1000 years of history pass by the front door:
- St Columbia's bones rested at Dunkeld, his followers having established a monastery.
- The effigy of a legendary warrior, the dastardly Wolf of Badenoch, is within the Cathedral.
- Fierce battles followed the death of the romantic 'Bonnie' Earl of Dundee in 1689, and Cathedral Street was ransacked.
- Robbie Burns visited famous fiddler Niel Gow in 1787.
- Queen Victoria was 'much pleased' to visit many times.
- J.M. Barrie's 'Little Minister' was filmed there.
- Alexander Mackenzie, first Canadian Prime Minister, spent his childhood here.
- No. 6B was a pre reformation church house for the parish of Lundieff now known as Kinloch, along the picturesque route of the five lochs.