North Mill Cottage is a stylish conversion of the old threshing mill at Meikle Trochry Farm, built in or earlier than the farmhouse, which has 1843 above the door.
Entrance on the ground floor, then up the stairs - lit by lights on each step! - to a sitting room, large French windows opening onto the balcony. From the well equipped kitchen within the open plan area you can cook, enjoy a cup of coffee of glass or something stronger while sitting eye level with the birds, cavorting red squirrels for the sharp eyed or simply sunning yourself.
For cooler evenings a wood burning stove throws out enough heat for even the chilliest toes! Books, games, TV, DVD player, my own 'guides' to the area, maps, family history - it's all there, and more. A large window now replaces where the corn would have been heaved up. To absorb a flavor of when the North Mill was a busy part of a working farm, there is memorabilia and photos in the cottage.
Downstairs is a pretty bedroom with glowing silk curtains and colourful patchwork quilt over the king sized bed. The bathroom leads off the bedroom and has no bath, instead a massive shower with a dinner plate sized shower head, and luxurious underfloor heating.
Heating is electric and the cottage is so well insulated that we guarantee you will never feel too hot or cold. A small garden packed with flowers and shrubs lines the pathway to the front door. And you can wander all round our garden, sitting down where ever you wish adjacent to the wild flower meadow.
- Ground floor easy access (with internal stairs).
- Own entrance, parking adjacent, sun trap east facing courtyard garden.
- Sitting / dining room has wood burning stove (wood provided) comfy sofa & wing armchair, west facing balcony with French windows for sitting outdoors & quiet, private views to mill lade, fields and trees.
- King sized bed.
- Extra large walk in shower, no bath.
- Kitchen with electric hob & oven, microwave, fridge/freezer, lots equipment and sharp knives for foodies!
- Heating by electric storage heaters & wood burning stove.
- Egyptian cotton bed linen, super size towels all included in rent.
- Colour TV, DVD player, radio, surround sound.
- Craftily concealed by double doors downstairs is a washing machine and drying space.
- Portable picnic / garden chairs.
- Ample local maps and books on Scotland.
- Excellent local eating places in Dunkeld, Aberfeldy, Crieff, Pitlochry.
- Hampers and starter packs of food available on request.
History of Meikle Trochry Mills'Times past - who do you think the locals really were?'
Dunkeld, the Sma' Glen and Aberfeldy form a golden triangle round the ancient hamlet of Trochry, whose ruined castle was owned by the Earl of Gowrie until the 16th century. Much of the stone was used for buildings round about, which might account for the huge foundation stones of the Meikle Trochry Mills!
In the last century the Kings of Spain rented the adjacent Drumour Mansion regularly for shooting and fishing. Bonnie Prince Charlie camped out close by, while Queen Victoria enjoyed a good night's sleep in the Atholl Hotel in Dunkeld!
Less than a mile away from Trochry is Rumbling Bridge, where the spectacular waterfalls attract present day visitors, and has been painted for posterity by the famous Pre Raphaelite artist Sir John Everett Millais, who based himself at Rumbling Bridge Cottage.
Beatrix Potter's love of nature and storytelling was inspired by decades of childhood holidays in the area. An evocative garden and exibition appeal to adults and children alike in nearby Birnam. Kitty, the inspiration for Mrs Tiggy Winkle was brought up within a field of Trochry.
Ann Lindsay's personal family history is also intriguing, and you can read all about it!